AboutU.S. and Latina/o/x Literatures and Cultures, Latin American Literatures, Comparative Modernism, Poetry and Poetics, Hemispheric Studies, Translation Studies
EducationPh.D., Rutgers University, English
M.A., Middlebury College, Spanish
M.F.A., Warren Wilson College, Poetry
B.A., University of Rochester, English, Religion and Classics
Work Shared in CORE
Other PublicationsLIST OF PUBLICATIONS
“Rehearing ‘The Negro Speaks of Rivers’ in an Era of Global Decolonization: ASK YOUR MAMA
’s Jazz Poetics,” special issue on “‘The Negro Speaks of Rivers at 100,’” ed. Shane Graham, Langston Hughes Review
. Forthcoming Winter 2020.
“Addressing Alien Worlds: Publics and Persons in the Poetry of Jack Spicer.” Contemporary Literature
(Winter 2017, Vol. 58, No. 4).
“Genre and Nationality in Nineteenth Century British and American Poetry.” With Meredith McGill,et. al. Teaching Transatlanticism: Resources for Teaching Nineteenth-Century Anglo-American Print Culture
. Edited by Linda K. Hughes and Sarah Robbins. Edinburgh UP, 2015.
“Introduction.” Decolonize X?
Post45 Contemporaries Series, ed. Scott Challener. Forthcoming December 2020.
“‘Only Through and Across Difference’: Historical Poetics and Historical Antagonism in Contemporary Poetry Studies
. 4 September 2020.
.” A Poetry Guide for the Poetry Foundation. 25 September 2019.
“‘A Breathable Language’: Oliverio Girondo and the Poetry of the Americas.”Los Angeles Review of Books
. 11 April 2019.
SELECTED BOOK REVIEWS
SELECTED POETRY PUBLICATIONS
- Traveler by Devin Johnston.The Rumpus, 24 August 2012, https://therumpus.net/2012/08/traveler-by-devin-johnston/.
- “Feeling by Thinking.” Review of The Collected Poems of Theodore Roethke by Theodore Roethke. National Book Foundation, 25 February 2011, http://nbapoetryblog.squarespace.com/journal/2011/2/25/1959.html.
- “The Other Jarrell.” Review of The Woman at Washington Zoo by Randall Jarrell. National Book Foundation, 1 March 2011, http://nbapoetryblog.squarespace.com/journal/2011/3/1/1961.html.
- “The Amphibian Nerve of Life.” Review of Selected Poems by Howard Moss. National Book Foundation, 15 March 2011, http://nbapoetryblog.squarespace.com/journal/2011/3/16/1972.html.
- “Little Things.” Review of Life Supports:New and Collected Poems by William Bronk.National Book Foundation, 1 April 2011, http://nbapoetryblog.squarespace.com/journal/2011/4/1/1982.html.
- “A Stranger in a Thousand Particulars.” Review of Effort at Speech: New and Collected Poems by William Meredith. National Book Foundation, 14 April 2011, http://nbapoetryblog.squarespace.com/journal/2011/4/14/1997.html.
- “The Return of Sweetness.” Review of Watching the Spring Festivalby Frank Bidart. The Rumpus, 23 February 2011, https://therumpus.net/2009/02/the-return-of-sweetness/.
, Pangyrus, Lana Turner Journal, Gulf Coast, The Mississippi Review, RHINO, The Collagist, Narrative Magazine, The Cortland Review
ProjectsCurrent Book Project: “Impossible Audiences: Hemispheric Poetry and U.S. Publics”
Second Project: “American Literature in an Era of Global Decolonization”
Third Project: “Minor Refusal: A History”
Upcoming Talks and Conferences“‘The Negro Speaks of Rivers’ at 100.” Modern Language Association, January 2021 (virtual)
“Translating Sapphics: The Neruda-Bishop-Moore Nexus and the Transnational Relay of Genre.” American Literature Association, San Diego, CA (May 2020, canceled due to pandemic)
“Poetry as ‘Reject Note’: The Black Radical Magazine and the Poetics of Global Decolonization.” American
Comparative Literature Association, Chicago, IL (March 2020, canceled due to pandemic)
MembershipsModern Languages Association
American Comparative Literature Association
Association for the Study of the Arts of the Present
Modernist Studies Association
American Studies Association
American Literature Association