AboutMichelle Chesner is the Norman E. Alexander for Jewish Studies at Columbia University, as well as the Vice President/President Elect for the Association of Jewish Libraries. She is a co-director for Footprints: Jewish Books Through Time and Place (footprints.ccnmtl.columbia.edu), and edits a column in Judaica Librarianship on Digital Humanities and Jewish Studies.
EducationBA, History (Minor: Ancient Studies), Summa Cum Laude, University of Maryland, Baltimore County (2006)
MA, Hebrew and Jewish Studies, New York University (2008)
MLIS (Concentration: Rare Books and Manuscripts), Long Island University (2008)
Work Shared in CORE
- Blog (ongoing): Jewish Studies @ CUL: https://blogs.cul.columbia.edu/jewishstudiesatcul/
- Presentation: “Footprints Redux: Looking back, looking forward” (Association of Jewish Libraries Conference, Boston, MA, June 2018)
- “Jewish Studies/Digital Humanities Resources: An Introduction,” Judaica Librarianship 20 (doi: https://doi.org/10.14263/2330-2976.1293)
- Exhibition: “Yiddish at Columbia,” January 2018-June 2018 (Chang Gallery, Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Columbia University)
- “Old Texts and New Media: Jewish Books on the Move and a Case for Collaboration,” in Digital Humanities and Libraries: Altered Domains of Partnerships, Questions, and Tools (Chandos Elsevier, March 2018). With Marjorie Lehman, Adam Shear, and Joshua Teplitsky. (doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-08-102023-4.00005-7)
- “Codex Conquest: Jewish Edition” in “Roundtable Discussion: Teaching Printing History with Codex Conquest” in Printing History: The Journal of the American Printing History Association, New Series, Winter 2018, pp. 51-54.
- “Association of Jewish Libraries,” in Encyclopedia of Jewish Print Cultures (Brill, forthcoming)
- Presentation: “Codex Conquest: Jewish Edition” (Association of Jewish Libraries Conference, New York, NY, June 2017)
- Keynote Speaker, Undergraduate Research and Creative Achievement Day (University of Maryland, Baltimore County), April 26, 2017
- Presentation: “In the Footprints of Giants: Taking the Digital Beyond Digitization” (Conference of Judaica Curators, National Library of Israel, Jerusalem), June 2016
- Presentation: “Footprints: An Experiment in Digital Humanities,” (Association of Jewish Libraries Conference, Silver Spring, MD), Summer 2015
- Contributor: “Judaica” in “Guide to East European Resources in the New York Metropolitan Area,” Slavic & East European Information Resources (14: 2003, 283-398)Convener: “Roundtable on Digital Humanities,” (Association of Jewish Libraries Conference, Los Vegas, NV), June 2014
- Exhibition: “The People in the Books: Hebrew Manuscripts from Columbia University Libraries,” Columbia University, September 2012 – January 2013
- Presentation: “Great Scholars, Great Collectors: The Building of Columbia’s Judaica Manuscript Collection,” (Association of Jewish Libraries Conference, Pasadena, CA), June 2012
- Panel: “Reviving the Hebrew Bibliography Project,” at Cultivating and Curating Exchange (National Library of Israel, Jerusalem), June 2012
- Lecture: “Staying on the Cutting Edge: Jewish Studies Research in a Digital World,” Association of Jewish Libraries (AJL) New York Metro Association Division (NYMA) Reference Workshop, January 2011
ProjectsFootprints: Jewish Books Through Time and Place (footprints.ccnmtl.columbia.edu) attempts to track the movement of Jewish books from the inception of print through the end of the hand-press era.
MembershipsAssociation of Jewish Libraries