AboutGiovanna Gobbi holds a Dual Bachelor Degree in Portuguese and English studies and a Bachelor of Education from the Universidade de São Paulo, Brazil. She was an English major exchange student at Concordia University (2001-2002), focusing her studies in North American Literature and Creative Writing. She holds an M.A. in Brazilian Literature from the Universidade de São Paulo (2015). Her M.A. thesis focused on the representation of the Paulo Afonso Falls in 19th-century historic/political, pictoric and literary discourses. She is currently a Ph.D. Candidate in Brazilian Literature at the University of São Paulo, with a research project that examines African-american and indigenous representation in Brazilian romantic poetry of the nineteenth century. She was a Fulbright Doctoral Dissertation Research Award grantee and a Research Fellow at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (2018-2019).
Education2018 – 2019
Fulbright Visiting Researcher at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
2016 – pres.
Ph.D. Candidate in Brazilian Literature, University of São Paulo, Brazil
2012 – 2015
M.A. in Brazilian Literature, University of São Paulo, Brazil
Title: The painting of the waters: a study on poetic visuals in Paulo Afonso Falls by Castro Alves
2005 – 2007
B.A. in Education (English/Portuguese), University of São Paulo, Brazil
1999 – 2004
B.A. in English/Portuguese Languages and Literature, University of São Paulo, Brazil
- ARAÚJO, Giovanna Gobbi Alves. The Paulo Afonso Falls by Castro Alves (1847-1871): interweaving poetry and social imaginaries. Languages of the imaginary. ICLA Book Series. (Article. Forthcoming December, 2019)
- ARAÚJO, Giovanna Gobbi Alves. Acrimônia. Jornal criativo em língua portuguesa O Canto do Mar, vol 3, Spring 2019, p. 7 (Poetry).
- ARAÚJO, Giovanna Gobbi Alves. Diante dos olhos: a representação enargética da matéria sociopolítica da escravidão n’A Cachoeira de Paulo Afonso, de Castro Alves. Nau Literária, 14.2 (2018): <https://seer.ufrgs.br/NauLiteraria/article/view/77772/50938>. Web. December 2018 (Article).
- ARAÚJO, Giovanna Gobbi Alves. A poética da totalidade: um estudo da comicidade no drama romântico de Castro Alves. Aletria: Revista de Estudos de Literatura, 28.1 (2018): <http://www.periodicos.letras.ufmg.br/index.php/aletria/article/view/12929/11088>. Web. 08 April 2018 (Article).
- ARAÚJO, Giovanna Gobbi Alves. Olhar em curso. Opiniães: revista dos alunos de literatura brasileira. 10 (2017): 194-197. Web. 4 April 2018. <http://www.revistas.usp.br/opiniaes/article/view/133559> (Translation of Langston Hughes poems to Portuguese).
Upcoming Talks and ConferencesABRALIC 2019 Conference – A representação do Quilombo de Palmares na poesia oitocentista brasileira a partir da narrativa historiográfica colonial.
MembershipsMember of the Modern Language Association (MLA), the Midwest Modern Language Association (MMLA), the Northeastern Modern Language Association (NeMLA), the American Comparative Literature Association (ACLA), International Comparative Literature Association (ICLA) and Brazilian Comparative Literature Association (ABRALIC).
Former editor and member of editorial board at Opiniães: revista dos alunos de literatura brasileira (Brazilian literature student journal – University of Sao Paulo)