EducationPh.D., Jewish Thought, Jewish Theological Seminary of America, 2011.
Rabbinic Ordination, Jewish Theological Seminary of America, 2007.
M.A., Jewish Philosophy, Jewish Theological Seminary of America, 2006.
B.A., Classical Languages, Carleton College, 2001.
Work Shared in CORE
Articles and Book Chapters:
- “Musar and Jewish Veganism.” In Jewish Veganism and Vegetarianism: Studies and New Directions, ed. Jacob Labendz and Shmuly Yanklowitz (SUNY Press, forthcoming, 2019).
- “‘I will be with them’: God at the Burning Bush as an Ideal of Compassion for all Creatures.” In Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh, ed. David Birnbaum and Martin S. Cohen (New Paradigm Matrix Publishing, forthcoming, 2019).
- “The Exodus and Some Possibilities of Jewish Political Thought,” co-authored with Emily Filler. In T&T Clark Companion to Political Theology, ed. Rubén Rosario Rodriguez (T&T Clark, forthcoming, 2019).
- “War, Musar, and the Construction of Humility in Modern Jewish Thought.” Interreligious Studies and Interreligious Theology, vol. 2, no. 2 (2018): 216-242.
- “Two Orthodox Approaches to Vulnerability and the Exodus Narrative: The Stranger in the Writings of Irving Greenberg and Meir Kahane.” Studies in Judaism, Humanities, and the Social Sciences vol. 2, no. 1 (forthcoming, 2018).
- “Constructing Interreligious Studies: Thinking Critically about Interfaith Studies and the Interfaith Movement,” co-authored with Amy Allocco and Brian Pennington. In Interreligious/Interfaith Studies: Defining a New Field, ed. Eboo Patel, Jennifer Peace, and Noah Silverman (Beacon Press, 2018), 36-48.
- “Angels, Humans, and the Struggle for Moral Excellence in the Writings of Meir Simhah of Dvinsk and Simhah Zissel of Kelm.” In Jewish Religious and Philosophical Ethics, ed. Curtis Hutt, Halla Kim, and Berel Dov Lerner (Routledge, 2018), 27-50.
- “Repairing Character Traits and Repairing the Jews: The Talmud Torahs of Kelm and Grobin in the Nineteenth Century.” Polin: Studies in Polish Jewry, vol. 30, no. 1 (2018): 15-41.
- “The Promise and Limits of R. Simhah Zissel Ziv’s Musar: A Response to Miller, Cooper, Pugh, and Peters.” Journal of Jewish Ethics, vol. 3, no. 1 (2017): 154-177.
- “The Kaddish, the Allegory of the Cave, and the Golden Calf: Meditations on Education and the Encounter with God.” In Kaddish, ed. David Birnbaum and Martin S. Cohen (New Paradigm Matrix Publishing, 2016), 307-336.
- “The Legacy of the Kelm School of Musar on Questions of Work, Wealth and Poverty.” In Wealth and Poverty in Jewish Tradition, ed. Leonard J. Greenspoon (Purdue University Press, 2015), 151-184.
- “A Jewish Perspective on War, Scripture, and Moral Accounting.” Journal of Scriptural Reasoning, vol. 14, no. 1 (2015): 1-15. (Also reprinted in Virtue Ethics, ed. Tom Angier [Routledge, 2018], 2:169-185.)
- “Pinhas, the Quest for Purity, and the Dangers of Tikkun Olam.” In Tikkun Olam: Judaism, Humanism & Transcendence, ed. David Birnbaum and Martin S. Cohen (New Paradigm Matrix Publishing, 2015), 475-501.
- “Introducing Jewish Studies through Jewish Thought and Practice.” Shofar, vol. 32, no. 4 (2014): 60-75.
- “Musar.” In Enzyklopädie Jüdischer Geschichte und Kultur, ed. Dan Diner (Stuttgart: J.B. Metzler, 2013), 4:268-274.
- “The Practice of Musar.” Conservative Judaism, vol. 63, no. 2 (2012): 3-26. (Also translated into Spanish and re-printed as “La práctica del Musar,” trans. Rodrigo Varscher, in Maj’shavot [Pensamientos], vol. 54 : 1-30.)
- “Jewish Virtue Ethics and Compassion for Animals: A Model from the Musar Movement.” CrossCurrents, vol. 61, no. 2 (2011): 208-216.
- “God and Suffering in Heschel’s Torah Min Ha-Shamayim.” Conservative Judaism, vol. 61, no. 4 (2010): 17-42.
- “Sharing the Burden: Rabbi Simhah Zissel Ziv on Love and Empathy.” Journal of the Society of Christian Ethics, vol. 30, no. 2 (2010): 151-169.
- “The American Jewish Revival of Musar.” The Hedgehog Review, vol. 12, no. 2 (2010): 63-72.
- Yisrael (Lipkin) Salanter, “Light of Israel” (selections from Letter #30), in Jewish Legal Theories: Writings on State, Religion, and Morality, ed. Leora Batnitzky and Yonatan Brafman (Brandeis University Press, 2018), 65–68.
- Simhah Zissel Ziv, “Notice Posted on the Door of the Kelm Talmud Torah Before the High Holidays,” Jewish Review of Books, vol. 4, no. 3 (2013): 46.
MembershipsSociety of Jewish Ethics
American Academy of Religion
Association for Jewish Studies