Bashar H. Malkawi is Dean and Professor of Law at University of Sharjah. He received his S.J.D from American University, Washington College of Law, and LLM in International Trade Law from University of Arizona. His academic career has traversed both business and law schools, teaching a variety of business law courses in Jordan, UAE, Italy, and United States
His research agenda focuses on the role of the World Trade Organization, regional trade agreements, Arab economic integration, with specific projects examining Arab countries’ participation in the WTO dispute settlement mechanism, and business law (broadly conceived).
Doctorate of Juridical Science (Scientiea Juridicae Doctor, S.J.D), American University, Washington College of Law, Washington, D.C, August 2005.
Master of Laws (LL.M) in International Trade Law, The University of Arizona, College of Law, Tucson, Arizona, May 2001.
Bachelor of Laws (LL.B), Yarmouk University, Department of Law, Irbid, Jordan, June 1999.
Work Shared in CORE
1) The Need for Regional Liberalization: The Issue of Damascus Agreement of 2004, in HARMONISING REGULATORY AND ANTITRUST REGIMES FOR INTERNATIONAL AIR TRANSPORT Chapter 13, 202-212 (Jan Walulik ed., UK: Routledge 2019).
2) Corporate Governance in Jordan: Role of the External Auditor, in CORPORATE GOVERNANCE IN ARAB COUNTRIES: SPECIFICS AND OUTLOOKS Chapter 9, 179-203 (Dima Jamali, Virginia Bodolica, and Yulia Lapina eds., Ukraine: Virtus Interpress 2018).*
3) Parallel Imports, Trademarks Law, and Agency Regulations: Legal Uncertainty in UAE Jurisprudence, in WIPO-WTO COLLOQUIUM PAPERS (Karla Brepsant ed., Geneva: WTO Press 2015).*
4) The Berne Convention, in INTERNATIONAL ENCYCLOPAEDIA OF LAWS FOR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW (Hendrik Vanhees ed., The Netherlands: Kluwer Law International 2010). *
5) Iraq‘s Accession to the WTO: Commitments and Implications, in INTERNATIONAL LAW AND TRADE: BRIDGING THE EAST WEST DIVIDE (Sylvia M. Kierkegaard ed., 2007). *
Member, Law and Development Institute, United States (2018-present).
Research Associate, Economic Research Forum (ERF), Egypt based – Think Tank focusing on research and policy debate in the Middle East region (2016-2021).
Member, Society of International Economic Law, United States (2013-present).
Member, International Association for the Advancement of Teaching and Research in Intellectual Property, Switzerland (2018-present).
Member, London Court of International Arbitration’s Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG), United Kingdom (2010-present).
Member, The Business History Conference, United States (2018-present).
Fellow, The Tim Fischer Centre for Global Trade and Finance, Bond University, Australia (2014-2016).
Associate Member, American Bar Association (ABA) (2005-present).