An aspiring minimalist, I do all the things! My many roles constellate within a clarifying praxis of supporting creative vision
. I teach writing and rhetoric with an emphasis in digital multimodality. I enjoy making short films as digital scholarship. My book on all of this is due out later this year from the #writing
series, Colorado State University Open Press.
I’ve listed my disciplinary identitification @ Left. Thankfully, the field in which I identify my presence, Rhetoric and Composition, is gloriously capacious. Within the field, I’ve found ways of engaging a range of studies and practices that invite me to explore my interests in:
- Digital Media
- DIY Digital Filmmaking
- Visual Rhetoric
- Writing Program Administration
University of South Florida
Rhetoric & Composition
Secondary emphasis (praxis), Digital Media
Secondary emphasis (scholarly), Late 20th C. Literature
Cruel Auteurism: Affective Digital Mediations Toward Film-Composition. #writing. Series Ed. Cheryl E. Ball. Colorado State University Open Press. 2019.
Negotiating Religious Faith in the Composition Classroom. Co-edited w/ Elizabeth Vander Lei. Portsmouth, NH: Boynton/Cook-Heinemann, 2005. Print.
Films & Digital Scholarship
“screencube.” Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy. Jan 2013. Film.
“master.” A remix of the 1936 Chevrolet promotional film, Master Hands. Invited submission. Enculturation: A Journal of Writing, Rhetoric, and Culture. Oct 2011. Film.
“status update.” A documentary on social networking and/as pedagogy. Enculturation: A Journal of Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture 8. Oct 2010. Film, Webtext.
“Notes on ‘Notes on the Film’ OR My Supermetachat On An Already Metachatty Look @ My Short Documentary, i’m like … professional.” An invited, process-oriented webtext. “Inventio.” Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy 15.1. August 2010. Webtext.
“i’m like … professional.” A short documentary on DIY (“do it yourself”) digital filmmaking and self-distribution. Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy 14.2. Jan 2010. Film, and Webtext.
“bones.” A short documentary on academic multimodality. Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy 14.2. Ed. Cheryl Ball & Scott Lloyd DeWitt. 15 May 2008. Film.
“‘Totally, Tenderly, Tragically’: Godard’s Contempt and the Composition ‘Qu’il y Aurait’ (that Might Have Been).” Invited submission for Composition Studies 36 (1): 2008. 39-55. Print.
“Practica, Symposia, and Other Coercive Acts in Composition Studies.” Don’t Call it That: The Composition Practicum. Ed. Sidney I. Dobrin. Urbana, IL: NCTE, 2005. 67-81. Print.
“Meaning Finds a Way: Chaos (Theory) and Composition.” College English 66 (5): May 2004. 503-523. Print.
“Autobiography: The Rhetorical Efficacy of Self-Reflection/Articulation.” Strategies for Teaching First Year Composition. Ed. Duane Roen. New York: NCTE, 2002. 137-142. Print.
ProjectsC’est Mwah! Selfies as Ekphrastic Hope. An in-process manuscript and (as yet, seemingly) born digital textual project in “reclaiming my (feminist) time.”
Upcoming Talks and Conferences
- “What’s the Role of Human Beings in Posthumanist Rhetoric?” Roundtable. The 2019 Modern Language Association (MLA) Convention. Chicago, IL. January, 2019.
- “Thresholdings: Rhetoric & Contemporary Activism.” 2018 Capacious Affect Conference. Affect Inquiry/Making Space. Presenter & Stream Organizer. Millersville PA.
- “Reclaiming My Time: Selfies as Ekphrastic Hope.” Computers & Writing 2018. George Mason University.
- “Moving Microthemes: A One Page Pedagogy of Rhetorical Invention.” Teacher 2 Teacher. CCCC 2018. Kansas, MO.
- Modern Language Association (MLA).
- Former Chair, Rhetoric, Composition, and Writing Studies Forum, “Writing Pedagogies” Group . Modern Language Association (RCWS, MLA) 2018-2019.
- Former Member, Rhetoric, Composition, and Writing Studies Forum, “Writing Pedagogies” Group. Modern Language Association. (RCWS, MLA) 2014-2019.
- National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE).
- Conference on College Composition and Communication (CCCC).
- Rhetoric Society of America (RSA).