Books on History of Translation.

3 replies, 4 voices Last updated by  Anne E. B. Coldiron 5 years, 10 months ago
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Prithvirajsingh Thakur
    Participant
    @ppthakur

Dear Friends,

Can anybody suggest me some good book/s  or articles on the History of Translation ?

Best,

Prithviraj

Jessica Winston
    Participant
    @winston

That’s a big topic. One recent book, focused on the English Renaissance, is English Renaissance Translation Theory (ed. by Neil Rhodes, with Gordon Kendal and Louise Wilson, MHRA, 2013). The introduction provides a nice overview of this trend, at least in England, between about 1485 and 1660.  Another source is the series, The Oxford History of Literary Translation into English, a multi-volume, multi-editor series, published through OUP.

With best wishes,

Jessica Winston

Andrew Keener
    Participant
    @keenera

I would recommend Lawrence Venuti’s The Translator’s Invisibility: A History of Translation (Routledge, 1995). I also find the recent, though more theoretical work of Emily Apter.

Anne E. B. Coldiron
    Participant
    @acoldiron

Hi, Prithviraj,

Agreed with the excellent suggestions in previous posts; and it is a huge topic. See also the just-released 2nd ed of Douglas Robinson’s anthology of texts (Western Translation Theory from Herodotus to Nietzsche; Routledge). At the risk of self-reference, I’d like to mention to a resource coming out soon that might prove helpful, especially to those interested in early modern translation.  In conjunction with this,

http://www.folger.edu/template.cfm?cid=4754&showpreview=1#translation

a Folger Year-Long Colloquium on translation, a series of bibliographies and other items will be posted on the new Folgerpedia.   It’s under construction at the moment, but once the Colloquium gets rolling in October and November, you’ll find an array of resources there, intended as an ongoing, interactive set to which participants will continue to add over time.   Hope that helps,

Anne Coldiron

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.