A group devoted to the development of a new volume in the MLA Options for Teaching series, Teaching Modern British and American Satire.

Where is satire taught?

Tagged: 

3 replies, 4 voices Last updated by  Amy L. Friedman 4 years, 8 months ago
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Evan R. Davis
    Participant
    @edavis

We would like to get a sense of the range of courses in which satire is taught. In what courses do you teach satire? Please indicate for each course the discipline, course title, format (lecture or seminar), whether it is an elective or required, whether it is regularly offered or a special topic, and how often you teach it.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by  Evan R. Davis.

Ratan Bhattacharjee
    Participant
    @drratanbhattacharjee

Satire is taught in our UG courses. We teach Pope’s The Rape of the Lock for our Graduate students. In Masters  our students are to take Dunciad . We teach Swift and Dryden , Mark Twain and Orwell also.- Gulliver’s Travels, Mac Flecknoe, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Animal Farm. All these are offered as a regular segment in the syllabus. I teach Satire thrice in my classes. We also discuss the genre with references to the Classical and Neo-Classical writers of Europe. We arranged seminars and special lectures also on the topics related to genre of  Satire .

Martin Lockerd
    Participant
    @mlockerd

In the Spring 2014 semester, I taught a course on “The Rhetoric of South Park” (Rhetoric 309K) at the University of Texas at Austin. This was a special topics seminar focused on reading and interpreting satire in the contemporary television series South Park. The course was an elective that qualified to fulfill a writing requirement.

Amy L. Friedman
    Participant
    @satiredoc

I teach an Honors seminar (undergrad) at Temple University called “Satire: The Deadliest Genre,” which covers satires through the ages which got the respective authors in dire and desperate trouble: exile, incarceration, threats, fatwa. The seminar appears in the course catalogue irregularly. I have also taught the English Senior Capstone as a satire-focused seminar on Restoration and Augustans.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.