French science-fiction

3 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  Annabelle Dolidon 7 years, 2 months ago
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Annabelle Dolidon
    @adolidon

Very interesting conversation indeed. My current work is on French science fiction, virtually unknown in the US. I am writing an article on short stories by Sylvie Denis, author, editor, translator, very well known in the French SF community. Unfortunately, no translation available, like for most contemporary production. I hope to start working on an anthology of short stories in English translation this summer. If anybody has experience in this type of work, I welcome advice.

At Portland State University, I started a multidisciplinary discussion group on ‘Alternative Realities’. Faculty and grad students in Foreign languages, Urban Studies, English, Women Studies and Indigenous Studies meet once a month to discuss a reading. We also bring guest speakers. We just had Joan Gordon and Rob Latham from UC Riverside is coming for a talk in two weeks.

I teach French SF text in upper-undergraduate and graduate seminars. I have a colleague in Japanese who also teaches SF in prose and in mangas, and a colleague in German had published a book in German SF in the 80s.

It takes work but we can make it happen!

Annabelle

Joshua Begley
    Participant
    @joshbegley

I wish the United States were better at carrying translated editions of works. This sounds like a fascinating anthology. I would love to read it!

Gloria Lee McMillan
    Participant
    @gloriamla

“At Portland State University,…”

OMG,  Grace Dillon, one of the essayists in our collection Orbiting Ray Bradbury’s Mars, teaches at your school.

You get old enough (let’s just say a couple years beyond 60) and you start to *know everybody*!  Tell Grace I said “Hi” and “Milli gwetch”–that “thanks” in Anishinaabe. -Glo

==================Bio of Grace from Orbiting Ray Bradbury’s Mars=================

Grace L. Dillon (Anishinaabe) is an Associate Professor in the Indigenous Nations Studies Program at Portland State University in Portland, Oregon, where she teaches undergraduate and graduate courses on a range of interests including Native American and Indigenous studies, science fiction, Indigenous cinema, popular culture, race and social justice, and early modern literature.   She is the editor of Walking the Clouds: An Anthology of Indigenous Science Fiction (University of Arizona Press, 2012) and Hive of Dreams: Contemporary Science Fiction from the Pacific Northwest (Oregon State University

Press, 2003).  Her work appears in diverse journals including The Journal of Science Fiction Film and Television; Foundation: The International Review of Science Fiction; Extrapolation; The Journal of

the Fantastic in the Arts; The Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television, and Renaissance Papers.

Annabelle Dolidon
    @adolidon

I will. Grace is in our group, of course, and she brings good students to our discussion. I will pass on your greetings :).

A

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.