Use this page to connect with other scholars working on Southeast Asia related topics, share your work, and your CFPs.

Talks about SEAsian writing at PAMLA and MSA 2016

1 voice, 0 replies
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Weihsin Gui
    Participant
    @weihsingui

Hello all! Hope you don’t mind me doing a bit of self-promotion here. I’ll be giving two talks about Southeast Asian / Southeast Asian diasporic writing in November 2016 at the PAMLA and MSA conferences in Pasadena, California. Both conferences will be held at the Westin hotel, Pasadena. If you happen to be attending these conferences, do consider coming to the panels and saying hello.

Here’s the information:

PAMLA 2016:
    “Asian/American Literary & Cultural Studies II”
    Saturday November 12,  1:45-3:15pm, San Gabriel Room

1) “Will You Pull Yourself Together?” The Aesthetics of Fear and Subjectivity in Lenore Look’s Alvin Ho and Hannah Sanghee Park’s The Same-Different
    Alexander Howerton, University of South Carolina
    2) Story Telling and Crowded Selves: Twenty-First Century Asian/American Short Stories
    Weihsin Gui, University of California, Riverside
    3) To Identity and Beyond: Identity Politics and Asian American Cinema
    Eve Oishi, Claremont Graduate University
    — I’ll be talking about two short story collections, Madeleine Thien’s _Simple Recipes_ (2002) and Jeremy Tiang’s _It Never Rains on National Day_ (2015).

MSA 2016:
    “World Englishes and Modernist Aesthetics”
    Thursday November 17, 1:30-3:00 PM, (Location to be decided)
    1) Matthew Eatough (Baruch College)
    “New African English”
    2) Weihsin Gui (University of California, Riverside)
    “‘The Interior Landscape of Words’: Malaysian and Singaporean Anglophone Poetry”
    3) Philip Tsang (University of Cincinnati)
    “‘That Other Country’: Indian English as Periperformative”
    — I’ll be talking about two formative lilterary / poetry anthologies from Malaysia and Singapore, _Bunga Emas_ (1964) and _The Second Tongue_ (1976).

• This topic was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Weihsin Gui.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Only members can participate in this group's discussions.