Use this page to connect with other scholars working on Southeast Asia related topics, share your work, and your CFPs.

Critical texts in Southeast Asian studies?

2 replies, 2 voices Last updated by Weihsin Gui 5 years ago
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Weihsin Gui
    Participant
    @weihsingui

Dear colleagues:

What are some of the key critical or theoretical texts (monographs, anthologies, or journal articles/essays) that you consider important to your work in Southeast Asian / Southeast Asian diasporic studies? I’d like to get a conversation going so we can have a pool of interesting and provocative texts to draw on.

Here are 3 of mine:

_Figures of Southeast Asian Modernity_. Joshua Barker

_ Postcolonialism Urbanism: Southeast Asian Cities and Global Processes_ . Ed. Ryan Bishop, John Phillips, Wei Wei Yeo

_Neoliberalism as Exception: Mutations in Citizenship and Sovereignty_. Aihwa Ong.

Brian Bernards
    Participant
    @bernards

Here are three texts that I have considered important to my work in (and knowledge about) Southeast Asia and SE Asian lit, one for each of the aforementioned categories:

Scholarly Monograph:

Knowing Southeast Asian Subjects.  Ed. Laurie J. Sears.  Seattle: University of Washington Press / Singapore: NUS Press, 2007.

Literary Anthology:

Virtual Lotus: Modern Fiction of Southeast Asia.  Ed. Teri Shaffer Yamada.  Ann Arbor: U of Michigan P, 2002.

Journal/Special Issue:

Postcolonial Studies 11, no. 3 (September 2008), Special Issue on “Southeast Asia’s Absence in Postcolonial Studies.”  Ed. Chua Beng Huat.

Weihsin Gui
    Participant
    @weihsingui

(Apologies for the thread necromancy. I hope we can keep this discussion thread active since there’s a lot of new and interesting scholarship being published about SEAsia in recent years.)

Hello everyone! Some time ago I borrowed a copy of the 1939 _Higher Education in Malaya_ report, which is a 150-page document by a commission appointed by the British colonial secretary.

I made a camera-capture PDF of it since the original print document was in rather poor and fragile condition and might not survive a lot of physical handling.

If anyone’s working on colonial Malaya and is interested in referring to this report, please let me know (weihsing@ucr.edu) and I’d be happy to share the PDF with you.

Here’s a link to a bibliographical citation from Singapore’s National Library Board for your reference. – http://www.nlb.gov.sg/biblio/4407243

– Weihsin

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Only members can participate in this group's discussions.