We welcome your participation in the Rust Belt Literature group.

This group will host discussions of all types of literary responses to living in the Rust Belt, defined here as industrial communities in the United States. Those ho have been affected by the rust belt go beyond simply those who have grown up these. In a class-based society, people who have never lived anywhere near the rust belt may hold media-inspired attitudes about the Rust Belt and those who live there. We offer fresh exposure those not from the Rust belt, fresh air and news to those from the Rust Belt.

We may overlap at times with eco-literature, ethnic and race studies, labor fiction, and regional literature.

Welcome home!

75 years old today: How Green was my Valley (Welsh Coal Mining Valley)

1 reply, 1 voice Last updated by  Gloria Lee McMillan 3 years, 4 months ago
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Gloria Lee McMillan
    Participant
    @gloriamla

HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY released Oct. 28, 1941.

Today is the 75th anniversary of this controversial (and prophetic) film that won Best Picture Oscar 1942 over Orson
    Welles’ Citizen Kane.

HGWMV shows the industrial growth and de-industrialization of a Welsh coal mining town long before people thought
    of these problems.

I have written an essay about these two films and the possible reasons why the controversy.  I think I attached a version of
    it to a post to you all.

Hope you like these reference items below.

Gloria
    <div class=”moz-signature”>New York Daily News Oct. 29, 1941 review

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/green-valley-deeply-moving-picture-article-1.2088524

And here the opening singing.  The narrator (probably actor/director Irving Pichel)  says–“Music is in my people like
    sight is in the eye
    .”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oevNjFeWUyQ</div>

Gloria Lee McMillan
    Participant
    @gloriamla

SEE; Essay listed under “FILES” at left.

Citizen Kane and How Green was my Valley turn 75 in a Time of Demagogues.

-Gloria McMillan

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.