An MLA network for scholars engaged in the study of representations of health, illness, and health professions.

Jess Waggoner: TC Medical Humanities and Health Studies Election

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Jessica Waggoner
    Participant
    @jess_waggoner

Hello everyone!

My name is Jess Waggoner and I am running for the MLA TC Medical Humanities and Health Studies Executive Committee. At MLA’s suggestion, I wanted to use this space to introduce myself and some of my goals.

I currently serve as a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies Program at the University of Houston. My research interests include U.S. literature and culture, disability studies, critical race studies, and queer theory. My current book project, <i>Crip Activisms: Race, Gender and Disability Consciousness in U.S. Literature and Culture</i>, 1900-1950, tracks the relationship between emergent forms of disability activism and early twentieth century literature and culture, and what strategies this early disability consciousness can offer contemporary disability social movements. My work has appeared in the Journal of Modern LiteratureJournal of Literary and Cultural Disability Studies and Modernism/Modernity, and is forthcoming in the Routledge Companion to Disability and Literature and Modern Fiction Studies.

I am running for TC Medical Humanities and Health Studies because I am passionate about bridging the perspectives of critical disability studies with those of medical humanities. I am especially interested in racialized health inequities in literature, and how literature can be used as protest against medical racism, segregation and abuse. Some future collaborations could include an MLA happy hour for Medhum/DS scholars to connect, a roundtable on the future of entwining these perspectives, and a mentorship program that connects graduate students working in these fields with advanced scholars. I have served on the MLA Committee on Disability Issues in the Profession, and would be eager to share the information and skills I have gained from this committee.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration, and I look forward to meeting some of you at MLA this year! If you’d like to drop me a line, my e-mail is jwaggone@central.uh.edu.

All my best,

Jess Waggoner

Thomas Lawrence Long
    Participant
    @thomaslong

Thanks for your willingness to serve, Jess. –Tom Long

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.