Executive Committee Candidate Statement

0 replies, 1 voice Last updated by  Bernard C. Aresu 2 years, 8 months ago
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Bernard C. Aresu
    Participant
    @bca

I am happy to contribute this brief statement in connection with my nomination as candidate to the executive committee of the MLA’s LLC Francophone.

Currently, I am Laurence H. Favrot Professor emeritus at Rice University whence I just retired from teaching to turn to full time research.

My current book project, The Self in Dissidence: Mediterranean Fictions, examines some of the mechanisms of esthetic and philosophical confluence that underlie artifacts of the Franco-Mediterranean area. The book revisits the works of Mohammed Dib that immediately followed independence, texts marked by the convergence of (and tension between) political and mystical textualities. It also deals with significant works by the painter Mohammed Khadda, a contemporary of Mohammed Dib, and film-maker Zineb Sedira, as well as with the novels and short stories that comprise Salim Bachi’s construction of the dissident, urban space of Cyrtha. A chapter of the book considers Albert Camus’ own subjective dissidence from the perspective of genetic criticism, through the fiction inachevée of Le premier homme, and with special reference to the journals and notebooks that accompany the narrative.

In addition to articles and papers, I have published a book on Kateb Yacine, a monograph on TBJ, as well as guest-edited special issues of such journals as Substance, L’Esprit créateur, and the French Review. Over the years, I have also been the member of the editorial boards of a few journals (International Journal of Francophone Studies, Nouvelles Études Francophones, The French Review, Journal of French and Francophone Philosophy).

I would be happy to serve on the executive committee of the LLC Francophone group.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.