Suggest session ideas for #MLA18 in New York City!

9 replies, 5 voices Last updated by  Katina Rogers 3 years, 6 months ago
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Stacey Lee Donohue
    Participant
    @sdonohue

The Community College Forum Executive Committee will be meeting on Thursday, Jan. 5th during #MLA17 in Philadelphia to discuss our ideas for our guaranteed session at #MLA18 in New York City.

If you have ideas for a session topic (a traditional panel or a roundtable or a poster session) relevant to Community College Forum members and allies, please suggest them in your response to this post. Alternatively, you can email me at sdonohue@cocc.edu with ideas.

Katina Rogers
    Participant
    @katinalynn

Hi Stacey, and hello to others in the forum,

I’m part of a team at CUNY Graduate Center that is working to connect graduate education and community college training. We are in our first year implementing the Humanities Alliance, which embeds Graduate Center students as teaching fellows at LaGuardia Community College. The team has discussed a few ideas that we think could be valuable session topics:

• Connecting graduate education and community college teaching
    • Digital Access – especially when primary mode of connection is through mobile devices, often with data limits
    • Transparency of the transfer process and transferability of credits
    • Teaching the Humanities at two-year colleges – especially given the common emphasis on vocational/skills-based education
    • Community College Students: Rhetoric and Mis/Perceptions

All of these are things that have sparked a great deal of discussion here and we would welcome an opportunity to explore them with others. Since MLA18 will be in NYC (local for us), we’re also hoping to bring some of our fellows and community-college students into the conversation.

Thanks for the opportunity to offer suggestions! I look forward to connecting in Philadelphia.

Jessica Winston
    Participant
    @winston

Hi Stacey and Katina,

I love the idea of “connecting graduate education and community college teaching.” I just finished a six-year stint as director of graduate studies in English at Idaho State University, where the Ph.D. in English and the Teaching of English explicitly aims to train students for and place students in tenure-track (or equivalent) positions at two-year schools. The program is also home to the Teaching Literature Book Award, a national-juried prize for the best book-length work on teaching literature at the college level. If you decide to address a panel toward “connecting graduate education and community college teaching,” ISU could bring additional perspective to the discussion.

Jessica Winston

Professor of English, ISU

Stacey Lee Donohue
    Participant
    @sdonohue

Dear Katrina and Jessica

I, too, love this idea! The Two Year College Forum Executive Committee will discuss this in January as we plan for the New York convention for sure, and I’ll be in touch.

I also know that Ian Sherman, faculty member at Olympic College in Washington and member of the Association of Departments of English (ADE) Executive Committee, plans to bring up this idea when the ADE executive committee meets in January. Since I’m on that committee, too, maybe we can find ways of offering several parallel sessions in New York on this topic, including 1-2 collaborative sessions.  Ian was thinking of a collaborative session with the ADE and the Humanities Alliance, and perhaps with other colleges who are doing similar projects (such as Idaho State).

Thank you both for your posts: Katrina, your five bullet points alone help me imagine several years worth of panel and roundtable topics!

Take care,

Stacey

Katina Rogers
    Participant
    @katinalynn

Wonderful! I’m so glad these ideas are of interest. Do keep me posted if the executive committees decide to move in this direction; the Humanities Alliance team would love to be actively involved.

Best,
    Katina

Ian Sherman-Youngblood
    Participant
    @isherman

Hi, Jessica, Stacey, and Katrina,

Indeed, I’m thinking of something precisely on this topic! I’ve been working quite a bit with the Simpson Center for Humanities at the University of Washington, and they offer a fellowship program in which current grad students mentor with faculty at Seattle-area community colleges.

I’ve heard of similar / analogous programs at other institutions, and really the first necessity is identifying who could be on such a panel–I know that Rachel Arteaga at Simpson is interested.

–Ian

Rachel Arteaga
    Participant
    @rachel_arteaga

Dear colleagues:

I truly could not be more excited about this discussion. As Ian mentioned, at the University of Washington (and with the generous support of the Mellon Foundation), we are placing doctoral students into mentoring collaborations with two-year college faculty in Seattle. It would be difficult to overstate how transformative this experience has been for our fellows, and how much we are learning from our growing network of community college faculty and leadership. If there is broad interest in a panel on doctoral education and community colleges, I would be happy to be involved, and to support it however I can.

-Rachel

Katina Rogers
    Participant
    @katinalynn

Hi everyone, and happy new year! For those of you who were in Philly last week, I hope you had a great convention.

Our Humanities Alliance team at the Graduate Center is beginning to plan for next year’s conference opportunities, and I wanted to check back and see how the CC Forum Executive Committee meeting went. If there was interest in arranging one or more sessions around the topics we discussed, I’d be happy to help organize.

Also, for those of you who might also be members of the American Studies Association, we’re hoping to pursue a similar session there—particularly since this year’s theme, “Pedagogies of Dissent,” seems like it could be a particularly rich framework for discussion. This year’s conference is in Chicago in November 2017. Just wanted to put out feelers to see if there might be interest. Feel free to email me at krogers @ gc.cuny.edu.

All best,
    Katina

Stacey Lee Donohue
    Participant
    @sdonohue

Hi Katrina

The CC Executive Committee is going in a different direction with our one session this year, focusing on external pressures that affect academic freedom and student learning and how we can respond.

However, Ian Sherman-Youngblood of the ADE Executive Committee is going to be in contact with you to discuss a possible collaborative session, so stay tuned!

Stacey

Katina Rogers
    Participant
    @katinalynn

Thanks for the update, Stacey! That makes sense, especially with next year’s conference theme. I’ll look forward to the session.

We’ll pursue another session separately, and I’ll connect with others on the thread as we begin planning.

Best,
    Katina

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.