Inspired by Michael Holquist’s challenge to the MLA to dialogue about the CCSI, what it means for us, and our relationship to secondary education, this is a space for discussion of standards, assessment, and our role in this process.

How Can MLA Help to Curb regulatory interference?

0 replies, 1 voice Last updated by  N. S. Boone 6 years, 2 months ago
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

N. S. Boone
    Participant
    @nsboone

I am curious if anyone knows if MLA has taken any stance on the encroachment of the Department of Education into teacher’s classrooms.  I’ll bluntly state my ideological stance: I am for any way we can organize, as a membership, to prevent what has happened in high schools (Common Core, NCLB, and all that these entail) from moving into the college realm.  I believe in the freedom of individual institutions to determine their own goals and objectives, and of individual instructors for finding the means to achieve those goals–including the ability to determine the best ways to measure the achievement of their students.  My fears are that the federal government will seek to use its already considerable power over higher-ed institutions to demand they conform to the increasingly standardized type of education demanded of high schools these days.

Anybody with me?  Is MLA willing to take on these challenges?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.