The Committee on Women, Gender, and Sexuality in the Profession (CWGSP), formerly the Committee on the Status of Women in the Profession, was founded to act as an advocate for women’s interests and as a catalyst for promoting the status of women in the profession. In its ongoing work, the committee strives to promote gender equity and inclusivity.
The committee will
• gather and review information and sponsor publications about the status of women in the profession, giving special attention to conditions of employment throughout the academic labor system and emphasizing gender inequities and inclusivity, part-time employments, differential salary levels, and patterns of professional advancement, as well as intersecting identities such as race, ethnicity, sexuality, class, age, and disability;
• gather and review information regarding the professional status of women and promote advocacy efforts for gender equity and inclusivity at all levels in the fields of languages and literatures;
• build coalitions with MLA committees and allied organizations that share the CSWP’s interests;
• make available to the profession the results of the CSWP’s studies; and
• organize programs for the MLA Annual Convention.
To view a list of the committee’s members, please visit the MLA Web site.
Staff liaisons: Erika Suffern and Julie Frick Wade (firstname.lastname@example.org)
This is a private group. To join you must be a registered site member and request group membership.