Vote in 2017 MLA Forum Executive Committee Elections

0 replies, 1 voice Last updated by Profile photo of Margaret Galvan Margaret Galvan 1 week, 4 days ago
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Margaret Galvan
    Margaret Galvan
    Participant
    @mgalvan

Hi all,

I am one of the candidates in the 2017 MLA Forum Executive Committee Elections for Comics and Graphic Narratives. I’m asking you to vote (by December 10) and to consider voting for me when you fill out your ballot.

I look forward to the possibility of serving in this position as it would allow me to continue proposing cutting-edge comics panels as I’ve been doing independently over the last several years. I’m thinking of cutting-edge in terms of focusing on emerging areas of scholarship, recognizing a wide array of methodologies, and developing collaborative engagements with other active groups at MLA as has been done in the past. In the position, I would also plan to continue fostering the community in the cash bar and in helping organize comics-centered outings in the host cities that could include book signings by local artists.

For reference, here are the panels I’ve organized at MLA:
    MLA 2013: Re-Understanding Comics
    MLA 2016: The Counterpublics of Underground Comix (with Leah Misemer)
    MLA 2017: Trespassing on Boundaries with Women’s Archives (with Ashley Foster)
    MLA 2018: Graphic Resistance: Comics and Social Protest (with Leah Misemer)

Here’s a bit more about me and my work, which shapes the intersectional approach I take to organizing panels:
    I am Assistant Professor of visual rhetoric in the Department of English at the University of Florida. I’m at work on a book, In Visible Archives of the 1980s: Feminist Politics and Queer Platforms, under contract with the Manifold Scholarship series of the University of Minnesota Press, which traces a genealogy of queer theory in 1980s feminism through representations of sexuality in visual culture. My published work, which analyzes visual media culture through intersectional archival approaches, can be found in journals like WSQ: Women’s Studies Quarterly, Archive Journal, and Australian Feminist Studies and in collections like The Ages of The X-Men (2014) and Disability in Comic Books and Graphic Narratives (2016). You can read more here: http://margaretgalvan.org/

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.