A group for the MLA Commons beta testers. Introduce yourself, ask us questions, make suggestions, and leave us feedback!

Blog directory and Permissions

Tagged: 

5 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  MLA Commons 6 years, 6 months ago
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Vimala C. Pasupathi
    Participant
    @vcpasupathi

I’ve changed the permissions for the Blog I set up a few times, in part because I want to discuss Very Bad Things about my university with the MLA community without having a public site that members of my university Administration could access. When i limit my blog’s availability to members within MLACommons, I find that it doesn’t come up in the site directory and it also doesn’t come up when I search for it in the search box. It also doesn’t appear in the list of sites when I make it available publicly but check the circle to discourage search engines from cataloging it.

So at present, it appears that any privacy setting makes the blog difficult to find by others in the directory, but no privacy setting means that it’s available to anybody even when not logged into MLA commons. So I’ve set it to be available to anybody, though I hope eventually that I can limit access without limiting its availability to the people I’d like to read, AKA you all.

And on that note: hey everybody, perhaps you might be interested in reading my first post? 😉

Kathleen Fitzpatrick
    Participant
    @kfitz

Hi, Vimala. We’re still working out some of the kinks in the privacy settings for various aspects of the site. For the moment, it would be wise to assume that nothing going on here is all that private, until we’re certain that everything is working as expected. If you have any questions, feel free to email me; we’ll update info in the FAQ, and will also be posting our privacy policy soon.

MLA Commons
    @mlaadmin

Hi @vcpasupathi! I’m not sure what was causing this issue, but it seems to be resolved. Your privacy setting is “I would like my blog to be visible only to registered users of MLA Commons” and that’s the case. You also show up in the Blogs tab and in search results. Let me know if you see any quirks!

Vimala C. Pasupathi
    Participant
    @vcpasupathi

Actually, when I click on Blogs, it doesn’t come up in the directory still. (I do see it when I search for it by name, but since nobody knows it exists, they wouldn’t search for it). I’d show you with a screen shot, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to upload that here…When I click on Blogs, and then All Sites, it shows 17 results, the ones below. Mine’s not there.

Book history
    Colonial Latin America
    Evaluation Digital Work
    Fido Ingenio
    Frequently Asked Questions
    From the Executive Director
    From the President
    Literature, Medicine, & Medical Humanities
    Minds and Machines
    MLA Commons
    MLA Convention
    News from the MLA
    People Playing with Various Media Forums
    PMLA
    Ryan Weberling
    Scholarship Communication @ MLA
    Twentieth Century Literature

Vimala C. Pasupathi
    Participant
    @vcpasupathi

Ps. Sorry about all that MS Word extra stuff up there!

And I should have added above: Thanks, Chris, for looking into it!

Vimala

MLA Commons
    @mlaadmin

You’re right! Sorry about that. I’ll get this reported and fixed.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.