We represent the executive committee of the LSL Applied Linguistics forum. Everyone is invited to join this MLA Commons group to share scholarly and professional concerns related to Applied Linguistics. Subjects can include but are not limited to: collaborative research projects, new pedagogical approaches, technology in teaching, study abroad topics, translation studies, theoretical linguistics and the scholarship of teaching language. Here’s to enriching our intellectual dialog!

Introductory / Director's Courses for Study Abroad

1 voice, 0 replies
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Pedro Esteban Ponce
    Participant
    @pponce

Hello:

I’m in my first year of directing a study abroad program in Madrid. I was interested in hearing from current or former study abroad directors about how they approach the introductory or “orientation” course while abroad. How do you balance providing necessary information (about security, getting to know the host campus, etc.) with course content? How do you get students to think about this type of course as part of their study abroad experience rather than an extended orientation session? Admittedly, I wouldn’t be asking unless I thought my first efforts at this lacked the right balance of pragmatics and pedagogy. I would appreciate any sources and/ or advice. Feel free to write back directly to my campus e-mail.

Thank you,

Pedro Ponce

Director, St. Lawrence University in Madrid

pponce@stlawu.edu

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Only members can participate in this group's discussions.