Statement for candidacy for executive committee, 17th, 18th, and 19th Century

0 replies, 1 voice Last updated by  Jonathan Hiller 6 days, 11 hours ago
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Jonathan Hiller
    Participant
    @jhiller

Buon giorno a tutt*,

Having been nominated to stand for election to the executive committee of the forum LLC 17th-, 18th-, and 19th-Century Italian, the following is a brief statement of my experience and interests.

I am a mid-career scholar of 19th-century Italian literature, opera, and scientific culture. My dissertation was on the intersections of Cesare Lombroso\’s works of criminology with literary and musical culture of the tardo Ottocento. I have published articles and a book chapter on Lombroso as well as articles on the Risorgimento.

Currently my primary scholarly activity is literary translation. I published the first English language translation of Tarchetti\’s Scapigliatura masterpiece Paolina (1866) in 2017. Current projects include Emilio Salgari\’s seminal work of science fiction, Le meraviglie del 2000 (1907), Neera\’s L\’indomani (1889), and Salvatore Farina\’s Mio figlio! (1881). A seasoned interpreter, I also work regularly for the NY State Unified Court System.

I have been a teacher of the Italian language and literature at assorted levels since 2003. Before starting my current position as head of Italian studies at Adelphi, institutions for which I taught included UCLA, UC Santa Barbara, the Los Angeles Community College system, and the Los Angeles Opera. I have also supported the AP Italian Language and Culture Examination since 2016 as an exam reader and occasional contributor of content.

I am a committed supporter of Italian studies, having presented research and contributed to several MLA, AATI, and AAIS conferences over the past fifteen years. I view the opportunity to represent our forum as a great way for me to continue in the effort to promote Italian language and culture both in the United States and beyond.

Thanks very much for your consideration and please do not hesitate should you have any questions regarding my candidacy.

Cordiali saluti,

Jonathan R. Hiller

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.