Will you be attending #MLA16 in Austin? Log in (or create an account) and join this group to start discussions, share convention-related links and resources, and connect with other participants. For full convention details, see http://www.mla.org/convention.

Texas campus open carry laws

2 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  Susan Cannon Harris 3 years, 8 months ago
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Kirsten Silva Gruesz
    Participant
    @ksgruesz

MLA convention-goers should be aware that open-carry laws go into effect in Texas after January 1, with campus carry set to follow on August 1. Concerned faculty and students at UT Austin have created this informative website, Gun Free UT. It links to a petition you may consider signing. Many academic departments at UT have already issued statements opposing guns on campus. I suggest using this topic thread to exchange information about other anti-campus-carry efforts in Texas and nationwide, and to explore possibilities for organized protest at the convention and calls for a statement of solidarity from MLA.

Sarah E. Chinn
    Participant
    @sarahchinn

Thanks for getting this started Kirsten. I’ll be at MLA and happy to participate in any way.

Susan Cannon Harris
    Participant
    @susancannon

Hello Kirsten and Sarah,

I am working with some UT faculty from Gun-Free UT to try to organize a protest. Once the details are finalized I will post about it here. In the meantime, I welcome input from anyone who has ideas about what form it should take.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Only members can participate in this group's discussions.